Friday, August 25, 2006

Why Blog?

So completely different topic. Well, completely different sub-topic, on the main topic, which is usually the dating life of a movie producer with (1) an awareness that he should have balance in his life between work and play, and (2) an awareness that he doesn’t have any balance in his life between work and play.

This blogging thing, though. What about it? Do people date off of their blogs? Meet people in person and become friends? Am I developing my own personal JDate? Egads.

I guess underlying these questions are, what is the whole point of blogging? At the wrap party for Hot Baby, last nite at Liberty, Heidi Kristoffer and I were discussing why I blog. She asked if it was simply therapy (as if I need it, the implication clearly being made) or were there other reasons. And while I replied without much thinking about it that the reason was indeed therapy, I don’t think that it’s a complete answer.

The other peripherals, I’m not sure. I definitely didn’t intend to begin to meet people in person by blogging. But now, getting invitations from people to meet them, entreatments, flirting, etc. makes it seem like that this might be a reason for people to set up blogs. Now, I already have my friends set, and I couldn’t possibly fit anyone else in before there is a death in the inner circle, so that’s not much of a draw for me. Who knows, though, there is always the possibility of an exception.

One reason I set the blog up, beyond to just have a space to vent, was to have a forum to combat what BITTER is always saying (or was, she seems to have stopped now that I have my own blog) about me on her blog. It became readily apparent that it was something my friends and even some colleagues enjoyed reading so that they could keep up with what is going on with me.

But I put the question to all of you that have blogs. Why do you do it? And has the reason why you do it coincided with any success?

Grumpster

8 comments:

Jill said...

I started blogging just to keep a journal and to have the few friends that knew about it read it so that they'd know what was going on w/me. I had no clue that random pple actually read this stuff. I can honestly say that I LOVE how many new friends I've made (especially the girls since most of my "live" friends are guys and I've always felt sad that I don't have more girlfriends) For whatever reason, online girls seem to like me way more than girls in real life!! Bizarre but I'm sure as hell not complaining.

As for meeting people from blogland, so far I've met 3. Even though the Dustin thing went a bit awry (I also met Mazing Amy and Ms. M) I'd say that I'm glad that I met all of them.

If I am someone you'd consider meeting, I would like to submit my application in this regard. I realize your "friends plate" may be full but I could be like a little side dish or just the little mint you have at the end of the meal???

Anonymous said...

I was NOT implying that you need therapy. Stop projecting ;)

ab said...

Well, I did start blogging as a type of therapy, and it morphed into something that I'm kinda addicted to. It's fun, and the people that you "meet" thru blogging are great, so there really is no downside.

As for meeting in real life, I did meet one person, who is totally cool, and we've established a nice friendship.

And, um... meow? LOL

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

Jill - We can meet anytime I like. :). Would't it be terrible to meet though, wouldn't it take away all the fun of reading each others blogs with surprise and occasional dismay.

Heidi - You so did. You so did.

Steph - I fixed the link so it says How? Hope you're happy. And Im glad you blog, you might explode otherwise.

Jill said...

Damn! SHOT DOWN!! Okay, that's cool. I've been rejected before and survived through it so I'm sure this too shall pass. ;)

DS said...

Well... I'm trying to find something, but I don't know what exactly. I'd like to dominate the world, but I don't see any possibilities just now ;)

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

DS I dont follow? What do yoi mean?

DS said...

It's quite easy. My only purpose is world dominating. But I've a little problem, I don't now how to reach it. I'm doing a lot of different things hoping some of them will help me in my aspiration. So blogging is one of such things.