Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Cruise Control

So because I am (1) clueless on Blog Etiquette, and (2) because I have probably the most readers right now that I will ever have (well, maybe, but definitely, “that I have ever had”), thanks to Steph’s patronage and Jill’s , ummm, patronage, I almost feel the obligation to provide frequent updates, or new blog entries on totally new topics, for the VLs.

Who are the VL’s?

The people who read blogs are the VLs. I am a VL. Stephs’s a VL. (Wouldn’t ya like to be a VL too?). Stands for Vicarious Lifer.

Anyway, the VLs need to be fed. The more often they are fed, the hungrier they get for more updates. More vicarious living. And to think I was supposed to go to Germany for a film festival for six days and potentially not be blogging the whole time I was there (I’ve decided to bag the trip cause I am way to busy and I need to replace my lost passport, anyway).

So anyway, this post is a response to a reader (who shall remain nameless, Jill) commenting that there isn’t anything for her to respond to in at least thirty six hours).

Now if I can figure out what to blog on? I know that Steph has some kinda blog entries which take the place of personal blogging, like movie quote Fridays, and soggy cereal in the toilet bowl Mondays (oh, wait, wrong blogger). I don’t have any such things on this blog, though I posited the idea of covering entourage episodes, largely to a deafeningly silent response. Also, the fact that the season was basically over and the fact that I know both producers of the show, and the guy who plays the head of WB on the show would make me a little ansy in case they wandered across the blog via MySpace.

So what I need, ppl, is an idea of what can fill in the blanks (yes, I have blanks occasionally – as long as I never shoot them) on those days when I don’t feel so inspired on any one topic.

Like today. This is a blog on blogging, which is kinda like peeing while in the bathtub. I don’t know how its like that, just came to mind.

So what are people’s ideas. What would be a good way to fill in these blanks? Guest bloggers? Surveys? Something movie related? Pictures of ex-girlfriends posted without permission. Footage of Heidi Kristoffer?

A little help?

20 comments:

Jill said...

No fair! Why do we have to do all the work?? My post sucked ass today so I don't think I'm in much of a position to give you an idea.

Although, here's something I've been thinking about: Have you noticed that people tend to comment more when one posts about being miserable and as soon as you say you're happy, they don't have much to say?

Do you think this is a case of "misery loves company"? If so, does this make you wonder if people are giving you advice that would actually be in your best interest?? (after all, then you'd actually happy and far less entertaining).

I guess I'm just expressing my own experience from my blog but I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

P.S. Thanks for hooking up the post. I was indeed quite hungry for you..ummm...I mean "it."

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

I posted an entry. You dont have to do all the work, just when ur on top. Ooops.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I just want everyones input cuz y'all (or many of, er, um, y'all) have much more experience with this than me. Lemme know how you keep the VLs happy. And since w/r/t me, you are the VLs, lemme know what you'd like. To do that, you have to comment.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

kinda ignored ur question. um. i dont want to see u miserable. not yet.

but with respect to your idea, while it might be an interesting topic, i was looking for maybe a more recurring thing, not a one-nighter.

know what i mean?

Anonymous said...

YES! More footage of me!!!

Jill said...

No worries.

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

what a disappointing response to all my innuendo, jill.

heidi, youre response was exactly as anticipated.

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

not youre. yaw.

Anonymous said...

Duh.

Jill said...

Sorry dear, guess I've got a bit of a headache this evening.

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

Well, you dont owe us to be the belle of the ball every evening.

Anonymous said...

Jill -- interesting theory about the happy vs. miserable posts.

Since I don't have a blog, I can't speak for myself. But I suspect that most people use their blogs as a diary. I also imagine that it's cathartic. Whether or not it's a happy or not-so-much happy post depends on the day, the hour, the minute that it's written.

As a commenter (albeit on very few blogs), I can say this:

My natural inclination -- and maybe everyone's natural inclination -- is to offer assistance/advice/a shoulder to lean on. Even if they're strangers. I never, though, say just what I think the other person wants to hear.

I guess it all has to be taken with a grain of salt unless you know the person, though.

That aside, I still think that you and G should meet. Just for a bissel coffee and a shtickle cake...

The Yiddishe Matchmaker ...at your service.

Anonymous said...

I would say that even miserable people try to give best advice they can - just cuz they miserable, they don't want everyone to be miserable. That way, the VLs can live vicariously through happy person until the time when they start kvetchign for new stuff. See Eternal Freshman blog for details.

Rachel Heather said...

I just started writing about Life and bham I had all these readers.

Blogging helps me because I want to be an author so it helps me practice.

A lot of times I have no idea what I am going to write about. But then something will happen in my day to day life and bham I have a topic! I just stick to themes :)

I do find that if I dont update like 3 times a week then my readers get kind of anxious LOL

Rachel Heather said...

Jill - I dont think it is a best interest thing or a misery loves company thing

I just think people love drama LOL

Think of sex and the city - if they had no relationship problems would we have watched the show?

sorry to hitail your post Grumpy :)

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

Not sure what Hitailing is, but you're welcome anytime, rachel.

Rachel Heather said...

crap - I meant hijack

and here I want to be a writer...tsk tsk tsk

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

well, since i hijacked yours, turnabout is definitely fair play.

Rachel Heather said...

Hey if you ever need a really cool, fun great employee - just let me know :)

Rachel Heather said...

can ya tell I am on a job hunt - a fun job hunt haha

seriously though - i saw the trailer - good stuff!

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

rachel, you want a job in the movie industry? san diego isnt the easiest place to find one. and arent you still in school? that said, what can u do?