Sunday, April 16, 2006

Miami- So it goes (one day late)

So the first nite in Miami, after a bumpy and delayed flight. A ride by Tox (my bro) from the airport to the south beach apt., get there at like eleven, and now, the decision to go out or to stay in.

What do you think?


So Tox takes off and Teach and I hit the street. We try to decide whether to stay local in the Lincoln Rd area or head down to the more crowded South Beach center (around eighth street) and go out. Hard.

We dawdle for a while, trying to decide. I make an exec decision, and we head down town. We go to Senior Frogs (yes, I know, but its just a landmark, and I kept confusing it with Senior Swankys which has food (but isn’t on the beach, but is in Coconut grove). We head down Washington, past Auto Slims (empty). Past enormous lines outside Mansion (not good looking lines, either, kinda trashy). Get down to where we’re going, and Frog’s is empty. Totally. Not a person. And though I wanted to head over to Ocean Drive about as much as I wanted to sluice lime juice on a paper cut, where else are we going, casually dressed and down in that neck of the woods.

Mangos. Yes, Mangos.

Now if you don’t know Mangos, it’s a legendarily touristy place on Ocean Drives. Scantily clad girls dance salsa and shake their rumps, serve pricey drinks and surprisingly decent food. We ogle, they serve. Seems like a fair deal, though even after we ate there, we were still asked to pay a cover to enter the show after eating on the sidewalk, which we declined.

We headed over to this very cool and chill (SO UNMIAMI) little bar that had a hipster crowd. Sat outside, talking about whether we were the proverbial Old Guys. I think we might be, Teach thinks not. We’ll see by the end of the trip, and I guess, so will you.

Couple of departing observations…Miami got more blue collar than I remember. Maybe its because it is spring break. Also, I haven’t been down here in a year and a half, which is the longest time gap for me for years, cause Tox was living in the apt. with his wife. Also, they’ve finished a lot of the construction down here that seemed to be going on and on forever. The beach at least seems a lot more polished up, at the same time. Maybe that makes the blue collar thing stand out more.

Got a message from the ex. Italian American Princess, IAP. After like six months of not talking to her, a text message, some mysterious email that implicitly requires a response to learn what is meant. I think I will decline. Moving on is good.

Here I am, moving on.

G











Google





 







Web


YOUR DOMAIN NAME









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What was the text message? Was it "just you and me today"?