Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Taxi-Cab Blogging

After an intermoinable wait in the baggage claim at the, erm, terminal, I have my bag and I am in a taxi headed from JFK Airport to my place in Battery Park City. I felt like I was playing beat the clock, because the red eye from Salt Lake was scheduled to land just before six AM, and NYC traffic begins in earnest not much later than that. By the time I was at the carousel, and then when the bags came out 20 minutes later, it was after 6:30 and we were getting into the traffic danger zone, where the traveling times can really change (movie reference anyone).

Anyway, we seem to be doing OK, though it’s a long trip to my place. I slept a bit on the flight, probably more than an hour uninterrupted. Three glasses of complimentary red wine in the Delta lounge did the trick – I’ll have to remember that for red eyes.

It feels pretty toasty in NY right now compared to the blizzard I left.

Flashback to twenty hours ago, Park City was being slammed by several feet of snow. Due to the late flight, I grabbed a ride from the Lodges into Old Town, and spent most of the day at a friend’s house (or the one he borrowed for Sundance). Even getting to that house was tough, and turned out that the big backpack (rather than suitcase) was a wise choice. My ride into town hadn’t been able to make it up Woodside, the street I needed to get to,…

Uh, oh, traffic. Hmmm.

Anyway, since he couldn’t get there, I ended up putting the pack on my back and fording heavy snow banks in a white out blizzard to find my destination. A suitcase wouldn’t have been good, especially because I had to climb straight up several hundred feet of stairs to get up to Woodside, which runs across the Park City Mountain.

Otherwise, travel was good, all things considered. While the roads were closed earlier for the blizzard, by the time my ride to the airport arrived at nine PM, everything was cleaned up, open and moving nicely.

And the traffic seems OK on the highway at the moment, here in the present tense. I think we’re on the BQE. Wasn’t paying attention. The cabbie went a weird way , triboro bridge. That’s traffic avoidance.

OK, not so interesting.

Its nice to be back in NY again. So looking forward to my apartment, to having a relaxing week before heading on the road again sometime soon.

I am kind of planning to head to the Image Awards, just in case My Brother wins its category, though I have my serious doubts. However, I suddenly don’t have a ticket because Anthony Lover, the director, gave the two tickets we were allocated away to Donovan Jennings and Chris Scott, two actors with Down Syndrome who stole the movie. Im cool with that, but I am not cool with plunking down $500 for my own ticket. I have my sources out looking for a ticket, comp., for me, but we shall see. I am pretty firmly not going to pay for one, so if I cannot get a ticket, I guess I wont be going. And if we win, then Vanessa Williams, who is nominated for Ugly Betty as well as being a huge part of the reason that My Brother is nominated, can accept on our behalf. Certainly, having her accept for us, there are worse things.


Have a good morning.



Grumpy (yes, a little).

1 comment:

Annie said...

Can't wait to get to New York. Only a couple of weeks left now.

Good luck getting the ticket.