Friday, January 25, 2008

Harry-Os and Gavin

Been in town for a few days, and quite frankly, its been quite amazing.

The condo that the VidShadow guys booked for the trip is gorgeous. Its not quite walking distance to Main St. but it’s a very short trip to town by car, from Deer Valley North, where we are, maybe just five minutes.

I drank wine on Wednesday night after getting here, and hung back while the rest of the crew went out to Harry-O’s and saw LL Cool J. I am from Queens, like LL, so while I can respect that, I didn’t feel much of a loss. I only had two hours of sleep before getting on an early flight Wed morning so staying home and getting a solid nine was a good idea. Even if the revelers came back at two AM and started yelling my name and pounding on my door. I hid and went back to sleep.

Yesterday. Different story.

After doing some work in the morning, we headed to Star CafĂ© to see some music. It was a Sundance pass only thing, and huge lines, but Cheri got us on the ASCAP list and we walked right in. Once I get in there, I see my friend, Gavin DeGraw (he does that “I dont wanna be” that is the theme from One Tree Hill or something like that, I can never remember). I know Gavin a bit from NY because he’s close friends with Joe Coots. I say hi, and after he finished his set, he hangs with us. We were waiting for hours because of the rumor that Crosby Stills Nash and Young were gonna play – Neil Young eventually did show up, but only sang backup on my least favorite Neil Young song. It was a little annoying, because I skipped a screening to wait for CSNY and then, well, nothing.

After the music, Gavin came back with us to the condo, and we sat around and bullshitted for a while. He had to bounce to a dinner, and we headed to see a new friend play guitar rock at a little restaurant on Heber, before heading to Harry-O’s again. Harry’s was a mad house, but our group was connected and once again, we walked right in. It felt like Vegas, actually, with the dancing girls and a really great cover band doing every dance tune you can think of.

I danced my feet off for like three hours straight. I haven’t danced like that, that ferociously, for that long, in years. I wasn’t even drinking really, just chugging water because I was really working up a sweat. I was feeling it, no doubt. I think my group was a little taken aback, because I tend to project, shall we say, a reserve.

Late in the evening, Gavin came and met up with us, and hung for a bit before jumpin on stage to do some Al Green, driving the crowd (particularly the women) into an absolute frenzy. We kept it up for another hour or so, at which point I was on pure adrenaline.

And now, the next morning, I feel like I ran a treadmill for fifteen miles. In a good way. Hey, at least I am not hungover.

And the Slamdance awards are tonight.

Grumpy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, G, we watched My Brother last night. (I cheered when I saw your name.) Good story, good music, and Vanessa Williams was terrific. And, um, you were right about the Kleenex. But that means that I enjoyed the film!

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

Thanks Dawn. Now if I could get my sister to watch it.