Sunday, January 27, 2008

Winding Down

Winding down from the ‘Dances in Park City. Last two days were frenetic at moments, relaxing and slow as well. After the Slamdance Awards on Friday night, where we announced “The Punished” as the Horror Competition Screenplay Winner, some of the crew went up the hill to a random “Industry” party.

I stuck around for the Slamdance after party, which had great tunes playing. Eric Presley, with whom I am working on a few projects, stuck around, as did numerous new friends Meredith, Katie, and their crew.

We never made it up the mountain ourselves, and in fact, by one AM or so, I went to the condo, picked up my stuff, and went to Eric’s hotel at Prospector Sq., because the condo was going to be at maximum occupancy Friday night.

In the morning, I walked forty five minutes or so in the snow into town, iPodding it all the way, and working up a bit of a sweat. Devlin came and got me, and took me back to the Condo, which despite the crowds, was a little more comfy and spacious than the hotel room (or a lot more, actually). Victor Garcia and I hung out and watched movies, until heading into town around nine with Eric to meet his friend Kalif.

Kalif is a stylist who did the clothes for a bunch of the artists playing at Harry O and the Zone Bar all week, including LL Cool j, Jason Mraz, and Michelle Branch. We were backstage with him, talking as he packed up his stuff to send back to LA. He is working some projects with Eric. Anyway, Kalif ended up walking us into the $1000 per plate Chef Dance (comped, of course), where we sat with the organizer of the event, Bethenny Frankel, who you may remember from the Martha Stewart Apprentice (never watched it myself). She was overwhelmingly gracious to a bunch of gate crashers, and told us all about the event (probably the hardest ticket at Sundance- even Redford himself attended, and he endorses nothing), and its history, while we sample the five courses prepared by the celebrity chef for night ten of Chef Dance.

After Chef Dance and a little more packing of the styles of Kalif, we headed across the street to the Spur, to watch the Mayor of Park City play with his band. It was a very Grateful Dead vibe. I was wiped out by now though, so it was back to Prospector Sq. Lodge.

Eric left today, but not before hooking me up to a room at the opulent Lodges at Deer Valley. Its where all the studio big wigs from Disney and Sundance Festival sponsor HP executives stay. Its rustic and sparse, matching an “outdoorsi-ness” with 1000 thread count sheets and some of the best hot cider in the lounge that I’ve ever tasted. At the same time, its outside of town, and while I think they have complimentary shuttles back and forth, I don’t want to push my luck after getting the free room. So I did a little shopping in their grocery area, and I am camped in my deluxe room (looks like a suite to me, though I am told its just a deluxe room), watching television, and catching up on reading.





Looking forward to heading back to NY tomorrow, even if only for a week or ten days. Its been a fun few days, peppered with a bit of stress, but overall a good time. Nice to have friends.

1 comment:

Julie O'Hora said...

Sounds like a very cool time. No wonder you're so un-grumpy.

Safe travels...