Thursday, July 27, 2006

Its Hot, Hot Hot

Hot Baby is shooting next Saturday. Starting for reel (hehe).

OK – WHADDYA GOT.

Two kick ass producers. Check.
A DP who I very much believe in and who is about to get to show his stuff a bit – albeit on a low budget level. Check.
Hip, hot young cast of actors like Noah Fleiss, Emily Grace and Brian Vincent. Check.


WHADDYA NOT GOT, EIGHT DAYS OUT.

Two leads – the dirty Dr. Sid (Out to Teddy Raimi, maybe for one more day) and Tex (Reaching out to David Thornton). Uncheck.
A Line Producer. Our line producer, Jim, took ill this morning and has left the shoot (he’s in the hospital so he has a damn good reason). When we were discussing what to do, I very much felt like one of those Everest climbers that leave their compadres fallen in the snow, because they know that they cannot carry them and still survive themselves, as callous a decision as that may seen. In any event, we hope Jimmy will be well. Any line producers in the audience? Uncheck.

But despite these big gaping holes, I feel pretty good about where we are. We are eight days out, budget is looking decent, we have some fallbacks on cast in case things don’t
come together with the semi-names we’re pursuing, and the crew, AD, etc. look pretty good. And Le Tigre is on board and I love those shirts, man. Too bad I just bought five polos.

But I love making movies, which gave me my next idea. We are shooting (or intending to) shoot a documentary on the making of this low budget masterpiece-to-be.

Now when I was a kid, in junior high school, I wanted to be a director. In my junior high year book, I listed “to be a director” as my future occupation. I ended up being a producer in this round-about way because of my legal background. But I never really totally gave up my idea of directing, and have played with the thought recently of directing a short film, or a documentary (having had thoughts about doing a poker documentary or a swing dance competition documentary).

Well, falling into my lap, here is my chance. I can direct this documentary about the making of a movie that I am producing. Is it a little wacky? Yeah, maybe. But I think, maybe, just maybe, I want to do it.

Grumpy (used to be greg)









Google





 







Web


YOUR DOMAIN NAME









8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here I go, becoming a serial commenter.

I think it's a great idea directing a "making of" film of the film that you're producing.

Just from a viewer's standpoint, though, I'll tell you what I'd like to see in it:

The behind the scenes, human-interest stuff. Like the producer sitting in his car, as he's leaving the studio after a hellish day, swearing and talking to himself. The funny stuff that's said at lunches about the meeting. You know what I mean ...not the technical stuff ...the human stuff.

But that's just me ...that's just what I'd like to see. I can't speak for the masses (this time).

Good luck with it. If your heart's in it, then it'll be worth the effort.

ab said...

I agree with Dawn - Hey Dawn! :)

Anonymous said...

LMAO!! Hi Steph! I was about to post a comment on YOUR blog to tell you that I'm becoming a serial commenter on your bro's blog.

Now how the hell am I going to get my work done???? ;-)

ab said...

Hee! LMAO Dawn! We're gonna start using my brother's comments like email and he's gonna get pissy :)

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

thats alot of ass to laugh off, chubby.

hows that for pissy

ab said...

That's just mean. But, why should I expect any less?

My ass ain't large!

ab said...

That's just mean. But, why should I expect any less?

My ass ain't large!

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

obviously your ass isnt huge, cuz its flat, but it got your attention.