Sunday, September 24, 2006

I always feel like somebody's watching me

So I went out last nite. Went to Michael Mosley’s birthday party at Bar Nine. He starred in the film I did, The Insurgents, in the lead role. He also has a TV show on right now, Kidnapped (which I haven’t seen yet but want to catch up on – already missed the first one).

Anyway, Michael and I were talking about my blog and I mentioned that I was getting hits from people finding me from within the industry. Now, my blog is completely public. In fact, if you look me up on Myspace you can find it. Its right there. So anyone who looks for me on MySpace has access. Also, because I mention movies I produce on the blog, by name, and some actors as well (I misspell occasionally but not all the time) anyone involved with the films googling the film to see where it pops up may pop onto this blog.

In fact, this did just happen recently in a way that came back to me. An actor called me for some personal advice on something he’s dealing with and in doing so, mentioned to me that he saw that I mentioned a film on the blog. And he didn’t like the way that I listed him. His BLOG Billing. And he wasn’t all hot an bothered about it, in fact he may have been half kidding. But the other half was serious, I think, and I guess in some way, he’s not completely wrong. I don’t think the way I described his participation was particularly different than the way the film will be marketed, and I don’t want him to be upset about it. But he does raise a question.

So I am at this party with Michael Mosley for his birthday, and we’re talking about the blog. And he mentions that he thinks its kinda tricky the way I write, because I have to flirt with self-censorship and there is always a question about how much I should give away when I am writing about specific people or projects.

It is tricky, but I guess its no more tricky than trying to communicate in the entertainment business, which is not a very straight-forward type of communication in a not very straight-forward business. So I am used to communicating, as necessary (I don’t try to be sly), in this way, and now, because the blog is public, I am doing the same thing with anyone who reads this. Its aimed at a common denominator, the most influential common denominator, and contains only that level of information that wouldn’t be a disclosure problem with the people at that level. Those who wouldn’t look at it as transgression. Which is why I declined ultimately the idea of doing weekly Entourage reviews and probably wont do reviews on this blog of anything contemporary here.

To all the rest of you? Who has a public blog and who doesn’t? And what do you disclose? Is someone reading your blog with whom you aren’t able to be completely candid?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd just like to thank you for putting that 80's song into my head.

I always feel like....somebody's watching meeeeeeeeeee...........

Ugh.

Jill said...

I love that song. :)

As for feeling constrained because of the various people that read my blog, I would have to say that I've had that problem for a long time. I guess, in your case, you have to figure out whether it's worth it to you to write whatever you want and run the risk of offending people (in this case, people that might affect you professionally) or censor yourself (thus somewhat compromising the purpose of having an online "journal") while protecting your career. There's no easy answer to this one but I have no doubt you'll figure it out.

Anonymous said...

Well..I semi regret mentioning my blog to my brother..but at the same time I don't hold much back from him anyways...and yea, there are people who don't even know I have a blog...

http://megisalone.blogspot.com

Rachel Heather said...

I dont talk about romance or anything very specific on my blog because I get blog stalked by ex's and guys i have dated.

too bad too I have the greatest bad state story but I couldnt say anything about it cause the guy reads my blog.

my boss also knows of my blog and when I am applying for writing jobs my blog is like my own PR.

so yeah many know about it but it does not bother me too much because i have nothing incriminating on there

:)

ab said...

If you're going to have a blog, there are going to be things that are going to be public. And that is something that you deal with if you want to have a blog.

You can't have it both ways.

JMHO

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

Issy. You know ya love that song.

Jill. Of course you love that song.

Anon. You regret knowing that song.

Rachel. You know you wanna sing that song.

Steph. Same old song.