Thursday, September 07, 2006

Dinner With A Legend




What a tumultuous day. Started early.

9AM Still sleeping, you crazy.

930 AM Ok, now I am kinda waking up. Hit the shower, put on my best pair of sneakers (skateboards sneaks, ultra-comfy) and I am out the door with my helmet.

10:30 Sitting at work (only takes 10 minutes or so to get there,even on my slow ass cruiser of a motorcycle) drinking coffee. Prepping for a call with Jess Jackson’s people about his participation in the movie marketing for My Brother.

12:00 Working with a director producer (both complete novices) team working on a documentary about domestic violence and using hip hop music to educate people against it. Nice idea, two total novices. They are in a throw-down argument over rights and nonsense, and most likely, the project wont be profitable, so they are fighting over nothing. I step in to mediate. I was asked to direct (yeah, my debut, I think I’ll pass).

2PM Talk to this young director about his project. Oh, by the way, those people he mentioned, those are just people he would like in the project not people who actually have read the script, but he can get them. OK.

Go get em, buddy.

5PM Jump up to a Company I’ve been working with a bunch. On the way up, I call my parents, to say hi. Hi.

Get to this company’s office, and we pitch a slate of projects which they agree to finance half of, and distribute under their WB deal. Fuckin huge, that’s a career right there. And I think the deal is going to go. Very good news. Plus, may be able to put some titles through the output deal as well, titles like the Insurgents and Hot Baby.

8PM Get back to Liberty in time for a conference call with the distributor of My Brother. They tell me, due to MPAA requirements, that the movie probably cannot be tested on the agreed upon date. They want to test in January before the release, again a change of plans. I tell Tony this, and we have the argument I predicted we’d have. Except for I am just the messenger, We argue.

10PM I go to French Roast. I meet the legend, Ml Brooks for dinner with his son and our banker. Ml tells me that he is all on board for the slate we’re discussing with Nick and he’ll help however he can. Zowee. More great news, after bad news after good news. Look out for me in Variety. BTW, Ml loves the Mother May I concept (a project we’re developing with Nick)

1230. God I am tired, and tomorrow is more of the same. But its an entertaining rollercoaster ride.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

You love it, admit it!

Anonymous said...

Holy bejeesus, that's HUGE! Sweeeeeet!

You must be floating...

Jill said...

Your life rocks. Me? Guess what?? I'm ummmm...just slightly exhausted and have a depo starting any minute...but, I have to admit it was worth it. :)

Dawn: Email me when u have a sec, ok? thanks. jillyinthecity@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

SOOOOO happy you don't have that pic as the first thing any more - my lil eyes just couldn't take it.

CONGRATS on yesterday - thank God you changed careers - you are one supah-stah of a Producer - you totally ROCK! Does that make you a little less grumpy today? :)

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

Im tired and I feel hungover, even though i just had two delicately small glasses of bordeaux at dinner with Mel (who was drinking iced cappucino and eating vanilla ice cream, which he shared with the banker, seriously adorable).

Anonymous said...

Yum.... sounds like my kinda guy - I take dessert over the main course or alcohol calories any day :)

No dessert for you?

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

Franky - I do. I admit it.

Dawn- Only until I hit the men's room.

Jill- People are gonna think I did something to wear you out.

Heidi- Um, couldnt have done it without you? But seriously, thanks for the support and since we'll be working together, i guess its good news for you too. And grumpy is only a moniker, you dont think I am truly grumpy do you? I mean, I am when I need to be. I dunno.

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

heidi - id rather drink

Anonymous said...

Don't be too sarcastic...

Grumpy many be a moniker, but I think you MAKE it fit. You crack a smile every once in a while - when you let your grump-guard down.

Maybe the being hung-over b/c you choose to booze instead of indulging in yummy desserts makes you grumpy?

Jill said...

Grumpy: I didn't realize you were concerned about what people may think...and, you did wear me out.

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

you aint see nothing yet.

ab said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ab said...

Tell 'em where the Grumpy moniker came from, dude :D

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

my bitchy sis

Jill said...

Grumpy: Is that an invitation?

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

im just standing in line.

Jill said...

feeling slightly confused. Kindly bear with me (or don't. don't expect u to wait but I am feeling slightly confused and...drunk...yes, slightly drink but was feeling confused when sober so it still counts.) :)

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

what the heck does that mean?

ab said...

Just meet for a drink already, k guys? :)

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

not til she's ready to give it up

Jill said...

Give "it" up??? Is that what this is about??

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

maybe you dont understand what i mean by give it up