Saturday, May 06, 2006

A little wiggle room

So I just had my first experience with something akin to Hollywood shadiness from a close tie. A director who I’ve been working with was brought onto a project that came to me by my biz partner, BigMan. Anyway, this director, who was brought onto the project not as a director, but part of the overall package, continued conversations with the writer of the script after we had walked away from it because the writer couldn’t really deliver the attachments that she said she would deliver. That in and of itself is not a problem. But he never told BigMan, his friend for years and year, not even when he was attached as the Director of the project, replacing BigMan. I think that’s kinda shady. Anyway, I’ve been working to get him this other film and he shows up to talk about it, and tells me the whole story about how he’s been meeting with financiers on this other project. I ask, Did you tell your close friend BigMan.

“Yeah, he knows about it.”

“Oh. OK” - Strange cuz BigMan tells me everything and I hadn’t heard word one.

So of course, I bring it up with BigMan and he doesn’t really know anything about it. Now, a little discourse on producing – As a producer, if I get involved in a project and I can’t or don’t make it go anywhere, I am not really in a position to complain if I walk away and someone who stays around makes something happen. However, BigMan is a director, brought this other guy (call him Talk) Talk onto the project and then Talk replaces BigMan – OK- but without telling him. When BigMan brought him to the table.

I don’t think its right. I am not cutting off ties with Talk, but somehow it doesn’t sit right with me.

Family movie is getting hot again – seemingly – with some smaller partners coming in with interest. Might actually end up better to have smaller partners that care more about the movie. Im expecting a lowball offer from Lions Gate – that’s what Ive read between the lines on our communications with them and its also what I have become very familiar with hearing when talking with people who have dealt with them selling movies. Spoke to a prominent actor/producer who declined to sell his movie to them. He told me to expect a lowball offer- that’s the way they play- their playground.

So we’re also considering smaller companies that have the financial power to push a theatrical release, and where we won’t get ripped off and we can retain some control over the marketing.

In the personal life department, just having gotten back, hung out on thursday nite at a Tribeca FF after party with my LA Actress. Definitely screwed that up a bit. She was going home with her friend, but changed her mind when I said I was staying. We left the club for Pastis for a bite to eat. After dinner, she asked me in the cab if I had to be anywhere the next day (um, Clue 1). I said I had to go to the office. Then when we got to her place (shes staying at the apt of a friend who’s out of town), after kissing good nite, she starts to go to the door, but then runs back into my arms and starts kissing me again (Hello, Clue #2) . Anyway, I got back in the can and went home. About five seconds after watching her head into the Apt bldg, it hit me. When did I become so dumb that I don’t recognize an invitation. She went back to LA yesterday.

Went out with the Russian model yesterday nite. Had dinner then went our separate ways. She’s doing some work for La Perla. I guess that makes her a lingerie model? I guess I get points for that.

Time to start the day.

Cheers.

G









Google





 







Web


YOUR DOMAIN NAME









No comments: