Saturday, July 07, 2007

Fear And Loathing Review

Sometimes you see a movie and it doesn’t resonate properly the first time. Maybe it’s the depth of your experience, or lack thereof. Maybe its something else, like there are layers of subtext. In the case of my initial reaction to Terry Gilliam’s adaption of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I think the cause was different. For whatever reason, when I first turned it on, watching it on DVD when it was released, I didn’t make it past the first twenty minutes. And I love Terry Gilliam, always have. I think, though, that when I saw one of my favorite books on screen, from one of my favorite directors, it set my expectations for comedy so high that what I saw in the first twenty minutes was quite disappointing. I was watching at a friend’s place, we turned it off, and I never bought or rented it afterward.

Well, its years later, now, and I’ve had the chance to see this brilliant movie. I think the first twenty minutes is kind of the orientation period. It’s the elevator ride down. I stopped the movie before I had a chance to acclimate to its vision, to embrace what Gilliam was trying to do with the book. The way that a world is created is undeniable, and even after watching just the first bit made me realize that he had done that, but to write it off as a terrific failure, one that was brave and masterful and just didn’t work.

But I had to give it another chance. I mean, this is Terry Gilliam. Brazil, Terry Gilliam. With Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro. And I am glad to report that it was my short attention span, my ADD, whatever, that led me not to recognize the brilliance in the vision and the humor that resounds throughout. Its just that he doesn’t explain his vision, the background of the characters and their real-life behavior; he just asks you to hold on to the back bumper until youre running faster than you ever have, at the same speed as the car.

The casting is brilliant, with great cameos up and down, including Tobey Maguire, Christina Ricci, Ellen Barkin, Chris Meloni (great as Sven, the Hotel Clerk), Gary Busey (may I have a kiss before you go?), Viggo Mortensen, Cameron Diaz, Penn Jillette, Harry Dean Stanton and a bunch of others. The photography completes the trippy atmosphere, as does the use of the rear projection in driving scenes. And Del Toro is a great foil to Depp, whose movie it is and who carries the movie with his performance and voiceover and complete dedication to his homage to Hunter S. Thompson (who appears in a flashback).

Watch it. Own it. Live it (well, probably not, you’ll get arrested). And try the Land Crab.

No comments: