Monday, July 16, 2007

Dumbfounded

I was on Myspace just now. Yes just now. Really, i just clicked over. (Thats not funny).

Anyway, there was a link for Drama film, and an url pointing to amazon.com. And some generic tag like, see the amazing gripping thriller. So i clicked it, curious what it was for.

I was directed to amazon, to the page for a movie that was shot in Bulgaria several years ago. I recall being in Bulgaria recording the score for My Brother (no I didnt record it myself, we have people for that, and they are paid less in Bulgaria, and are generally better looking, but thats neither here nor there. They walk more. They also smoke. They tend to be thinner, but probably get lung cancer. Like Israelis.)

Anyway, the excellent (formerly excellent?) director Bruce Beresford was directing John Cusack and Morgan Freeman in a thriller. I dont remember if it had a title back then, but the title of the DVD release is The Contract. Yeah, you heard me, the DVD release. As in, straight-to, do not pass go, do not collect box office rentals.

Beresford is an excellent director responsible for good movies in a number of genres. He's best known for Driving Miss Daisy, but also did the excellent, Black Robe, and Tender Mercies, and Breaker Morant. And here he is working with two very good (if not great) actors. The movie, how little could it have cost Avi Lerner and company in Bulgaria? 15 million? 12 million?

I haven't heard anything about it one way or another, quality wise. I have often wondered what happened to it, because I remember talking quite a bit about it when I was there. It was just after the Millenium (Avi Lerner's company) Brian DiPalma production with Scarlet Johnassen and Hilary Swank, another movie I haven't seen. Anyway, I guess I am surprises that a movie with that quality of talent couldn't even get theatrically released. Especially because its a thriller with a name cast, and even if it was terrible, it probably woulda raked in some money anyway.

My guess it that either (1) some theatrical rights situation is preventing it, or more likely (2) the movie is bad, there is limited upside to releasing it theatrically, and Millenium has already recouped the entire budget of the movie because THEY SOLD IT BEFORE THEY MADE IT. And thus, they have very little incentive to see it through, especially if the talent has disavowed it because of a lack of quality. If they arent gonna stomp for it, then in fairness to these gods of direct to video, the Nu Image/Millenium boys, maybe its the right move. Its just hard to image that it could be that bad. How many bad movies have Freeman and Cusack made? Not many. None jump to mind.

I suppose that may be exactly why they might choose not to promote this one, although thats completely speculation on my part.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

is it on Netflix?