Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Top 25 Horror Films to Date

YET ANOTHE UPDATE, June 2, 2007
Its the nite before the tenth PictureStart Film festival and I am just getting used to having my mac back. I've been on a slow PC all week long, and now I am back among the 21st century dwellers. Anyway, need to respond to some of these comments, and bring the list up to date.

DONT GET LAZY, WE"RE NOT THERE YET.
I've succumbed to some other subgenres including Aliens and The Thing on the list, as well as action/adventurer/natural monster movie Jaws, which is arguably the best movie on the list.


SECOND UPDATE, May 28, 2007
Wow, so we have a lot of respondents, including one, John, who nearly wrote his own blog on horror. It kind of raises the issue of what qualifies as horror (at least for the very minor purposes of this survey). Horror has many sub-genres, including monster movies, slasher, ghost/supernatural, torture, and comedy, to name a few. There are also the thriller horror crossovers, like Se7en and Silence of the Lambs and perhaps the Omen (listed below, but maybe more horror, if only judging by the amount of gore in that movie vs. its contemporaries)and the Exorcist. I guess when I was thinking of this, while I thought about the old Universal horror stuff, and the old monster movies, I wasn't necessarily considering that sub-genre. Nor was I particularly considering other related genre movies like Tod Browning's Freaks, or action/sci-fi movies like James Cameron's great Aliens, or monster action like Blade, and straight thrillers like Diabolique, which I saw when I was seventeen or eighteen, and which my father always described as the scariest movie he had ever seen. I guess where one draws the line is somewhat arbitrary.

Do Lon Chaney and more importantly, Bela Lugosi, belong on this list somewhere. Yeah, of course (not that they care), but that again raises the issue of where to draw the line. Lugosi is one of the godfathers of horror. But movies like Phantom of the Opera, to me, dont really feel right on this list. Great, influential in effects, acting technique, maybe even music (though I believe it would have been performed live, no?), yes, but horror, not so sure.

Anyway, with the obvious issue of arbitrariness now out in the open, lets update the list a bit.

FIRST UPDATE
My mac is broken (ugh, took it to apple in soho today, waited forever so that they could send it back - i should have it back in a few days or a week (maybe ten???) but if my computer skills (or for those of you who know me, my email response time) is less than stellar, well, now I have an excuse) and Im working on my ass-old PC.

The updated list from your write-ins is below. And I may up it to 30, because it appears I may have bit off more than I can chew. And just cuz your suggestion didnt make it in yet, doesnt mean it wont, I am just conserving space for the time being.

Cool thing about the list, it makes a good netflix or to watch list for aspiring horrorphiles.
********************


So by request, I was asked to write a blog about the best horror movies ever made (before I started making em, right- maybe I’ll make one some day that can be on the list). I didn’t really do anything about the request, and I certainly know a bunch about horror, but would not consider myself an authority at all. I’m no Eli Roth (haha, wink wink).

What we did before here was to let people make their comments about the best teen movies of all time. Given my immersion in the horror world over the last six months or so, seems like a good time to make a new list, a horror list. I went to the horror Fango Con in Burbank this past Sunday, to hang with Bob Kurtzman, special fx wizard and the director of upcoming films like Dimension Films’ Buried Alive, and the independently produced The Rage. Bob is an authority on horror, and his work shows it. He’s also a great guy and I think we’ll be working together for a long time, or at least I hope so.

So anyway, now I am sitting in my little hovel in Hollywood, and having grabbed a bunch of DVD’s from the main house, I’ve been focusing on watching horror in preparation for Digger and Slaughter. So because of this, I have the first two (lets go for twenty five) entries, films I watched yesterday and today, for the list. Lets get the list (and blood) flowing.

1. Psycho – An original. Groundbreaking, and a film that has been copied from so much, in films considered classic themselves, like Silence of the Lambs, Dressed to Kill, and this next film…
2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre – Toby Hooper’s classic horror oevre. I remember watching it at age 13 or 14 in Garden City. Middle of summer, late nite, everyone else was asleep. After the girl got hung on the hook by Leatherface, I proceeded to close every window on the first floor and lock em. Remarkably, there is next to no gore or blood in this movie. Other than a few rotting corpses, its all done by suggestion.
3.Halloween- Simply one of the best, and deserving of a top stop on any list. Back story goes that Moustafa Akkad approached John Carpenter after seeing Precinct Thirteen and told him that he wanted him to write and direct a movie about babysitter murderers. Carpenter and Debra Hill sat down and wrote Halloween in three weeks, on spec. They made the movie, and history, for about 300K (1979 style or whenever that was, maybe 1978).
4.Scream - One of the great scripts, one that took an overwraught genre and turned it on its head. Not the craziest about Neve in the role, but no one is perfect. Totally reinvigorated a dying (nopunintended) genre.
5. The Shining- The definition of scary. If you've seen it, you know what I mean. If you haven't why are you sitting there.
6. The Exorcist - The thinking man's (or woman's) supernatural horror thriller. Maybe not as gory as some of the entries on the list, but cemented into the minds of everyone who saw it. Created a sensation when it was released, with lines around the block, becoming one of the original blockbusters (without the bloated budget). Hopefully, Friedkin's return to the genre, Bug, will hold a candle, but I digress.
7. Suspiria - Considered by many to be Dario Argento's masterpiece for your more erudite horror fan, cant leave out the foreign entries, which brings us to...
8. The Ring (Japanese version)- the start of the japanese horror remake brigade, with The Grudge, which we making slaughter happily understand.
9. The Omen (original) - Gregory Peck and Lee Remick in another child-oriented supernatural thriller, with Richard Donner at the helm. The original is really good, a point made more clear when you watch the remake (which has its moments, mostly involving Mia Farrow and Pete Postelthwaite).
10. Night of the Living Dead - One of the groundbreakers in low budget horror and the godfather of Zombie movies.
11. Nightmare on Elm Street - The house in the first one was recently for sale in LA. Thanks, I will keep renting. Pirates on Elm Street, anyone (Johnny Depp's jump to movies from tv - and another Wes Craven entry).
12. Evil Dead - while i prefer its comedic sequel (remake), one of the standard bearers in no-budget horror, complete with arborial rape.
13. Alien - Ridley Scott sci-fi horror (yeah so I guess the parallel works) with Sigourney running around in her underwear while we all wonder if the cat has the alien inside of it.
14. Jaws - By proclamation, this great movie is a horror movie, for purposes of this list. A masterful piece of cinema, not just belonging on the great horror movies list (as if), but on the list of the great American movies.
15. The Thing - John Carpenter's 1979 remake classic with another great alien monster that had some unbelievable effects and more of his go to guy, the incomparable Kurt Russell.
16. Dawn of the Dead (2004) - Widely considered, here and elsewhere, a modern horror masterpiece, better than the recent Rodriguez entry in Grindhouse.
17. Poltergeist - Still the subject of a raging debate as to whether this is a Tobe Hooper movie or a Spielberg movie (answer is, probably both), has some of the great spooks and plenty of gore for the bloodhounds.
18. Manhunter - Michael Mann directing William Petersen and Brian Cox, with great villany and support from Tom Noonan as the toothfairy. Perhaps not as well knownm as the other entries on the list, and unfairly so. A great movie. Which brings us to...
19. Silence of the Lambs - I couldn't justify not including Jonathan Demme's scarer while including Michael Mann's movie which covers most of the same ground. I have to admit, I don't know why Mann's feels more horrific than Silence, maybe its the lower budget. Perhaps neither of them belong on the list, I don't know, but I love them both and enough of you said they belong.
19. Keep going, we arent done yet with this debate.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh - fun!!

I vote "The Exorcist" (The original with Linda Blair and Ellen Burstyn), "The Omen" (Again, the original - directed by Richard Donner), "The Shining" (directed by Stanley Kubrick), and to throw another Stephen King in the mix, "Pet Semetary" (although, for me, I really love "Salem's Lot" - I just doubt most will agree.)

There are a zillion more... Just not awake enough to think yet...

Bobby Lee Darby said...

I'd vote 'A Nightmare on Elm Street', 'Halloween', 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre', 'Night of the Living Dead', 'Night of the Demon', 'Suspiria', 'Ringu', 'Wolf Creek' and 'Haute Tension'

ab said...

The first Halloween, hands down, has to make this list!

Also, The Shining and Scream.

There's my votes :)

ab said...

Oh, and I totally agree with heidi (now that I've actually read her comment) The Exorcist and The Omen definitely should make this list!!

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

Working on your comments, so keep em coming

Anonymous said...

I love everything on your list (except SCREAM) and I vote for the movie that inspired PSYCHO, made five years before, called DIABOLIQUE by Clouzot; Hitchcock considered PSYCHO a joke on the audience but DIABOLIQUE is dead serious, plus:

PEEPING TOM (1960), made at the same time as PSYCHO by Hitchcock crony Michael Powell (himself one of the greats) has lots in common with its sister film. Not nearly as well known, championed and restored by Martin Scorsese.

VAMPYR (1932) unbelievable dream-like horror movie by Danish director Carl Dreyer, genuinely scary;

Herk Harvey's CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962) has the same haunting quality as VAMPYR and really produces chills; ultra low-budget movie made in Kansas, and direct predecessor of Romero's LIVING DEAD (I think he's acknowledged the influence).

Universal invented the horror genre with PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925), DRACULA (1931), FRANKENSTEIN (1931) and THE MUMMY (1932); my favorite Universal horror is THE BLACK CAT (1934), complete with Devil worship, incest, drugs, deflowering of virgins (sounds like a Night in Vegas) plus Karloff versus Lugosi.

Jacques Tourneur's NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1958) -- UK version only -- is fantastic; I'd add CAT PEOPLE (1942) by the same director, the movie that proved you don't need bloodletting to scare an audience, the first purely psychological horror movie.

MAD LOVE (1935), directed by DRACULA cinematographer Karl Freund, has Peter Lorre as the quintessential horror movie Mad Doctor; Gregg Toland shot this and re-used the compositions, angles and even the white cockatoo six years later when he shot CITIZEN KANE.

Mario Bava is the father of Italian horror, pre-dating Argento; his best are BLACK SUNDAY (1960), BLACK SABBATH (1964), BLOOD AND BLACK LACE (164), and KILL, BABY ... KILL (1966) -- all scary, stylish, great acting, music and cinematography, and available in a new DVD boxset. As for Argento, his first feature, THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE (1970) deserves a place as perhaps the single most influential horror film of the last 40 years (music by Morricone, cinematography by Storaro).

Sam Raimi's THE EVIL DEAD (1981), the scary entry in the trilogy (the other two are really comedies). I lived with Sam, Bruce, Rob and Goody in a Lower East Side apartment when they were posting this movie. After I saw the original cut, I locked my bedroom door. Movie scared the hell out of me.

For sheer fear, Polanski did an amazing job with Catherine Deneuve as a seriously disturbed young woman in REPULSION (1965) -- Kubrick makes a direct visual quote from this movie at a key point in THE SHINING -- and THE TENANT (1976), in which Polanski himself played the title character, a lost soul in a haunted Paris apartment. And can't forget ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968), which, along with THE EXORCIST, scarred many young Catholic minds (even more than the nuns and priests did).

HENRY, PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER (1990) -- I actually saw this in a 42nd Street grindhouse when it came out. Big mistake -- I kept looking over my shoulder waiting for someone to snap my neck.

As for Hammer horrors, my favorite is HORROR OF DRACULA (1958) with Christopher Lee as the scariest Drac ... nothing romantic about this vampire whatsoever ... the newly restored version just premiered at Cannes, can't wait to see it without cuts.

OK, now I can't stop ... ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1932), the first and best of three adaptations of H.G. Wells' ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU; Frank LaLoggia's 1981 Lucifer-in-high school indie FEAR NO EVIL; the Paul Schrader EXORCIST prequel not the Renny Harlin one; do you consider JAWS a horror movie cause I do; and SILENCE OF THE LAMBS ...

wcdixon said...

"Seven", "Alien" and "The Thing" (John Carpenter) would make my list...

"Saw" and Hostel" were pretty intense...

Original "Amityville Horror"...

"Last House On The Left"...

Bobby Lee Darby said...

John Gallagher pretty much nailed every great horror movie, but looking at my DVD collection I'd add Neil Marshalls ‘The Descent’, the closest movie I’ve seen to ‘Alien’ in terms of pure claustrophobic terror! And to go with the Japanese theme, ‘Audition’ and ‘The Tale of Two Sisters’ are both scary as hell.

I think ‘Hellraiser’ is still a scary and sick movie, with a great iconic villain in the form of Pin Head.

Michael Hanekes original ‘Funny Games’ is a real edge of your seat nerve shredder – Naomi Watts is in the remake, out later this year so it’ll be interesting to see how the remake compares to the original.

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

Dropped a few more on there, but we need seconds, people, the list is filling up. Gonna acknowledge that while I think they are great, Lambs, Rosemary, Se7en, Diabolique, Repulsion, and some of the others dont really feel like horror to me (at least not as comparable to some of the entries on the list). Also wondering why Scream, a favorite of the xx crowd, had some naysay. Speak up with reasons, kind sir.

Anonymous said...

I feel strongly that SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, REPULSION and especially ROSEMARY'S BABY are most definitely horror movies, albeit with decidedly superior writing, directing, action and bigger budget production values than many on the list -- even if one limits the genre to supernatural and slasher, they still qualify. That's what's so great about this genre is that it has so many sub-genres. It's limitless ... with or without gore. Let's go to the good ole Webster's for a definition, shall we?

horror: a painful and intense fear, dread, or dismay ... i like that, key word: fear.

My monster magazine-fed (Famous Monsters of Filmland preferred) Italian-Irish-Catholic childhood makes me especially susceptible to supernatural stuff, hence:

THE UNINVITED (1944) still makes me sleep with the lights on.

THE HAUNTING (1963) the movie that Robert Wise made using everything he learned from his producer Val Lewton in the early 40s editing CAT PEOPLE and directing CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE and especially THE BODY SNATCHER ... the Julie Harris-Claire Bloom version, not the ridiculous remake. The Wise film has a scene I utilized to scare the hell out of my kid brother Vinny when we shared a bedroom growing up -- in the dark of night in her bedroom, Julie screams out to Claire to let go of her hand, she's hurting her, stop! ... the lights come on and Claire is on the other side of the room. Or something like that (going from memory).

When I was a kid, maybe 7 or 8, home alone after school, watching NY Channel 9, I actually left the house when Warner Oland popped his werewolf head over a Himalayan rock in THE WEREWOLF OF LONDON (1935). Didn't go back inside til my Mom got home. And yes, that single shot still frightens me.

THE AMITYVILLE HORROR, THE SHINING, THE EXORCIST, NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET I, and THE OMEN inspire fear in me ... for whatever reason, AMITYVILLE the most (must be Rod Steiger's priest, even HE's susceptible ... the Catholic thing again).

And yeah, Bobby Lee Darby you know whereof you speak -- AUDITION, RINGU, WOLF CREEK, THE DESCENT, dig them, think their reps will only grow as well. I'm so glad you mentioned FUNNY GAMES -- it freaked me when I saw it on cable one late night in NYC. HELLRAISER rocks forever ... I love Clive's story RAWHEAD REX, they blew the movie completely, hope it will be filmed proper one day (maybe we'll do it!).

Haven't seen TALE or HAUTE TENSION, I gotta screen em, and thanks for the recommends.

Vampires don't scare me, but I love Kathryn Bigelow's brilliant NEAR DARK (1987), made back in the days Bill Paxton went by the billing of "Wild Bill" Paxton. And I LOVE the 1998 JOHN CARPENTER'S VAMPIRES with the coolest expletive-slinging vampire slayer who ever lived, James Woods.

Back to werewolves, the classic THE WOLFMAN (1941) with Lon Chaney is more of a fairy tale, a melancholy, sad one at that. But John Landis' AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON and Joe Dante's THE HOWLING, both 1981 I think, have some really horrific scenes, and some really funny ones, esp. Griffin Dunne's recurring character in the Landis film, decomposing more and more each time we see him.

I'm not a big horror-with-comedy fan per se (though I adore FROM DUSK TIL DAWN, more on that below). Every Monster Kid and me grew up on ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1949) with A & C bangin' heads with Dracula, The Frankenstein Monster, The Wolfman, and, in a brilliant coda, Vincent Price as the Invisible Man. Loved it as a kid, love it now. I've read in several interviews it's Quentin's all-time fave film.

For more contempo horror/comedies, you can't go wrong with Raimi's EVIL DEAD II: DEAD BY DAWN (1987) and what was originally titled EVIL DEAD 1300 A.D., ARMY OF DARKNESS (1993), both starring the inimitable Bruce Campbell. Stuart Gordon's RE-ANIMATOR (1986) and FROM BEYOND (1987) both with the Bruce Campbell-like Jeffrey Combs and delicious Barbara Crampton, are brilliant, as is Peter Jackson's pre-LOTR/KING KONG classic comedy of the undead, DEAD ALIVE (1992) -- unrated version only of course.

One of my all-time fave horror movies -- with lots of comedy -- is the Rodriguez/Tarantino/Kurtzman FROM DUSK TO DAWN (1997), just a genius movie for genre freaks. There's a super documentary about the making of the film called FULL TILT BOOGIE, available, I think on the DVD, an excellent doc in and of itself, worth the price of admission just for the Clooney/ Tarantino walk-to-set as. It's priceless.

Gotta mention the real classics -- the Fredric March DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1932) for which he won an Oscar as Best Actor, an erotic, hyper-sexual horror movie from the pre-Production Code days. Also Pre-Code, check out Lugosi in WHITE ZOMBIE (1932) for pure dread, and MURDERS IN THE ZOO (1933) for utter dismay, as Lionel Atwill punishes his wife's lover by sewing his mouth shut with your basic Rain Forest shrunken head technique.

I agree big-time with Heidi about SALEM'S LOT --when Reggie Nalder appears at the kid's window, I experience fear. Scary freakin' movie ... and one of the best adaptations of a King novel.

Kudos to DePalma for SISTERS (1973) and CARRIE (1976), purely on a filmmaking level, and while it's really sci-fi, I had to sneak in the spaceman from MAN FROM PLANET X (1951), who scared the bejesus out of me as a kid when it played on TV, and still does (from Edgar Ulmer, the same guy who did the Karloff-Lugosi THE BLACK CAT).

I was creeped by the remake of THE GRUDGE (2002) -- not as good as the original but still effective ... .. have a special place in my heart for a great monster movie, PUMPKINHEAD (1988) ... as well as several Corman/Price/Poe chillers like HOUSE OF USHER (1960), MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH (1964) and TOMB OF LIGEIA (1964).

I think my favorite horror movie of the last decade has to be the remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD. I like 28 DAYS LATER a lot (some of my directing students at School of Visual Arts hate it for some reason) but come on, FAST zombies? You're dead.

Yeah, DAWN OF THE DEAD. Saw the Romero original (1974) on first release and we all flipped for it, but it's basically a gross-out laughfest ... not dissimilar in that respect to parts of ANIMAL HOUSE.

Zack Snyder's 2004 remake ... different freakin' story altogether. This is fear, dread and dismay with ZOMBIES ... but even better, great direction, tremendous acting (Sarah Polley, yes, Sarah Polley from THE SWEET HEREAFTER, Ving Rhames, Mekhi Pfifer) ... in other words, REAL FILMMAKING.

Cause as I look over these movies I cited I realize the single unifying ingredient is that they were all made by real filmmakers -- writers, directors, producers, actors, cinematographers, composers -- and not by committees grasping at remake straws. The one thing these movies have in common is the passion, artistry and love for the genre exhibited for all time to come by those who made these movies.

So, after much digression into this rich and bottomless genre and its many sub-genres, I have to heartily thank my esteemed colleague and production partner Mr. Segal for providing a forum for such a worthy diversion. Since you first posted "The Top 25 Horror Films to Date," I have been consumed with my own personal history of the genre and I love seeing everyone's candidates.

And now, my choices for the Top 25, boys and ghouls ... umm, sorry, gotta think about it some more. After all, I wouldn't want to leave anything out ... I want to live to see the sun rise once again over Lexington Avenue ...

Unknown said...

whoops ... how could I forget that fine purveyor of horror, Rob Zombie with HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES and the sequel THE DEVIL'S REJECTS. I love him for honoring vintage horrors with clips from movies like THE OLD DARK HOUSE (1932) and great 70s rock n roll to remind us where we're comin' from ... can't wait to see what he does with his take on HALLOWEEN, coming ... guess when?

Ant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ant said...

Wow id forgotten how many great horror films there are, i need to check out some of the ones i havent seen. but i would add Friday 13th, Hostel, Feast and Saw to the list

Anonymous said...

In my mind - when you think of horror movie, it doesn't necessarily have to fit into any shiny category - but rather has to have the sense, feel and mood of fear (thanks John Gallagher) and scariness. When I think about what I consider the best horror movies of all time, I would have to reclassify many of the old classic "Horror" movies to a new genre such as a subgenre of fantasy or something... - yes, Dracula, Frankenstein etc., all are great movies, and I love them, but they are not what I would consider horror.

To me, the prototype horror movie is Halloween. Creepy, scary and makes you want to hide under your blanket until it is over (but more than just a creepy suspensful movie like Diabolique). Maybe there has to be something of the fantastical in the movie as well, whether it be your undead, razor wielding, serial killer.

So, in that vein, so to speak, the all time top 10 (or 25) list OF MINE has to include:

Halloween - Michael Myers, that damned soundtrack that creeps me out everytime I hear it...to me -- prototype of the modern horror movie.

Alien -- My apologies to John G - but this movie is one fantastic horror movie -- maybe a sci-fi horror movie - but it contains all the elements of Halloween - except instead of Michael Myers killing girls in their underwear, you have big bad scary Alien hiding in the shadows - and Sigourney runnin around in her knickers at the end.

The Exorcist -- just watching Max Von Sydow enter the room each time gives me the creeps and makes me hug my blanket tighter.

The Thing - some incredibly creepy moments, genuinely scary scenes, and a great ending.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - the original that inspired so many more

The Shining. Jack slowly losing his mind in a psychological horror movie.

My two cents - and for what that was worth, I think I overpaid.

ab said...

I agree with Happy - Alien must make the list. Unbelievably scary, creepy and keep you awake at night movie.

Also, not that it "fits" the horror genre, but Jaws to me, is classic horror in that it scared the bezejuns outta me!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Greg, for this exercise in terror. Here's my list, which includes respect for my fellow respondents' choices. And thanks for letting me take up so much blog space in my previous posts, but hey, I had to listen to my inner movie demons. Perhaps I should have reserved my detailed comments for my monthly column on the National Board of Review website (yes, of course that's a plug) at www.nbrmp.org/features/baac.cfm.

So here goes, with no regrets:

1. Psycho
2. Halloween
3. The Silence of the Lambs
4. Jaws
5. The Shining
6. The Exorcist
7. Alien
8. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
9. Rosemary's Baby
10. Carnival of Souls
11. The Evil Dead
12. Suspiria
13. Nightmare on Elm Street
14. The Black Cat (1934 version)
15. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
16. The Omen (1976)
17. Black Sabbath
18. Bird with the Crystal Plumage
19. House of 1000 Corpses
20. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
21. Night of the Living Dead
22. Ringu
23. Salem's Lot
24. The Amityville Horror
25. Night of the Demon

Happy nightmares!

Unknown said...

100 Scariest Movie Moments from Retrocrush: http://www.retrocrush.com/scary/index.html

ab said...

Wow, John Gallagher agrees with me about Jaws!!

*swoon*

:)

Anonymous said...

My top Horror Films(not in order).


Poltergeist
The Exorcist
The Entity
Hellraiser
Candyman
Amityville Horror
The Birds
Pet Semetary
Phantasm
Evil Dead
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Nosferatu
Deliverance
Manhunter (Dr.Hannibal Lecktor at his best)
Salem's Lot
Haute Tension
The Wicker Man (1973)

I saw alot of these when I was a kid.

I have to give SLAUGHTER a shout after reading the script. It's gonna be good.

Anonymous said...

sorry Grumpy. I should of explained I'm Bobby Lee's uncle (better looking, less hair), Slaughter is still top secret and good.

Best of luck with Slaughter and Digger.

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

Dave - You definitely made me nervous, lets keep that on the lowdown.

JG - I should know better than to get ya started. You know we only were picking 25 right?

Happy - Nice to see you commenting by computer, and not by phone.

WCD - Welcome back. Seven is great, i guess it'll make the list too with Alien and The Thing.

Bobby - Everyone can definitely see your good (or bad) taste in gore.

Ant- Was feast good, still havent seen it. I did see John Gulager (not to be confused with John Gallagher) at the Fango Con in Burbank a few weekends ago.

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

Steph- Swoon, Ugh!

Unknown said...

i whittled my list to 25, smartass.

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

John - If I wasnt a smart ass, I wouldnt be smart at all.

ab said...

Always so damn serious, that brother of mine.

Jeez!

Bobby Lee Darby said...

The list is filling up with lots of great horror movies but even though I love Manhunter and The Silence of the Lambs, I don’t consider them as horror movies in the sense that I consider every other movie on the list as a "real horror" movie, I think mainly because when I first watched The Silence of the Lambs when I was younger – possibly 8 or 9 – I also watched Candyman around about the same time and that movie terrified me where as Silence of the Lambs didn’t, so I guess I would put The Silence of the Lambs and Manhunter in the same list as Seven, Hitchcocks Suspicion or Spellbound or something like The Spiral Staircase and Road Games.

Did anyone see the old Richard Franklin movie Road Games?? Great twisty thriller!

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

Road Games? Gonna have to check that one out. Bobby - Will stop by Netflix and add it.

So far as the Thomas Harris adaptions are concerned, I guess when I do a list that is audience participation oriented, I have to go along with what the audience says. And while I kinda agree with you, I do think Silence had plenty of moments that were scary. Now put the fuckin lotion in the basket.

Bitter- Ugh again.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with WCDixon and others - "Amityville Horror" def should be on this list. What about "It"?
JG - agree completely with "Curse of the Cat People", "The Grudge", etc.
Dave - sooo with you on "Candyman"!!
I am glad "Jaws" is on the list - I am still scared to go in the ocean, even though I was rasied sailing practically every day...

That's all I got for 5AM...

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and why isn't "Salem's Lot up there yet? People have agreed AND I had to wear a cross for SEVERAL years after seeing that movie, and still refuse to look out windows when alone at night due to that window scene John was referring to...

Ant said...

Feast is great, lots of blood and gore, funny aswell. Is there any more news on Digger and Slaughter? What is The Slaughter about?

ab said...

Salem's Lot should definitely be added.

Is Carrie up there? (too lazy to check right now) If it isn't, it damn well should be.

And, ugh backatcha bro.

Gotta love that familial love.

Kinda Godfatherish.

ab said...

Okay, went and checked. Carrie is not on the list. Is it not considered horror, even though it was written by one of the premier horror writers of the past two decades??

Anonymous said...

WOLF CREEK has to make it! Nearly made me poo my pants with fear.