Saturday, June 03, 2006

What a week!

What a week. What a rollercoaster. (And the reason for no post).

Family movie blues? Working on the sale of this movie. Good convo after good convo with the distributor. Then the offer comes in, the worst lowball shit, compared to what we discussed on the phone. So I respond to the distrib. as in, “What the fuck is this?”

A little more formally, of course. A well reasoned assassination of his first offer.

His response – Its all part of the process.

OK. So this lowball shit, after you say ABCD you offer D. And that’s the process.

In other news (on the same topic) the film was offered a spot in a major festival (for this audience) and initially the director of the festival said that she loved the movie, we could have any spot we wanted, we could screen in competition or out of competition, yada yada yoo.

Anyway, flash forward from the initial discussion a few weeks, and enter SONY. You know, SONY. The multinational entertainment conglomerate. Come on, you know.

They have a movie. Its kinda for the same audience as mine. And they have lotsa money to promote it. I got squat for mine, basically. Maybe not quite squat, but not a whole lot.

So SONY buys the opening spot in the fest, and all of a sudden, my offer to open the festival – whoosh. Gone. See ya. Wouldn’t wanna be you if you told your investors we were offered opening nite.

So I say, fine, we’ll take another spot, be in competition (because everyone who has seen the films feels that we have a great shot to win). And this festival director, she with the forked tongue tells me that maybe we cant be in competition now. That the fest is really packed.

And what Im thinking?

That SONY has paid so handsomely for their opening spot, to promote the festival, for fancy flowers at the awards ceremony, that all of a sudden, maybe the fest doesn’t want us in competition. SONY is a lot more likely to pay next year for a spot if they win this year. After all, winning is the best press.

So I do my producer thing, start lobbying with her bosses, telling her why we should be in competition. She tells me she’ll fight for me (Yeah, right, as if).

So she fights for me. And we’re in competition. And then I have to say Thank you.

Thank you.

Welcome to the movie biz.

****
E has been in Miami in my apt for a week or so, with her mom. Started with the neg again, she seems to like me better when I don’t pay so much attention to her. Texted me four times without a response yesterday after calling me without a response the nite before. I don’t wanna have to play it this way, Bitter, but what choice do I have. What else am I supposed to do. This is apparently how she likes it. When I am too attentive, she isn’t responsive the same way she is when shes initiating. So I am gonna ride the horse in the direction it is going, as the saying goes.










Google





 







Web


YOUR DOMAIN NAME









1 comment:

ab said...

You deserve better.

Just sayin.

Love ya always.

And I sent u the link to the 9/11 movie months ago... you're reaction then was, I want to watch this... why?

Just sayin again.

Love ya again bro. :)