Friday, January 05, 2007

That Guy (Top 10) - Continued

Another long gap in time. Sue me. I've been busy and i think i friggin have walking pneumonia. Walkin friggin pneumonia. At least it didnt stop me from gettin busy in South Beach, aight. More on the South Beach trip, tomorrow. I dont expect to be moving around much this weekend. Want to shake this damn bug. Anyway, lets finish up this list.

***********

OK. So I don’t blog for a week. More than a week. Now I am home for Saturday night, writing, sitting around, reading old movie reviews at RogerEbert.com (which I very much recommend) and I thought of a good list post, so even though I just posted, I wanna start this one off. The list is one Happy will definitely appreciate – It’s the “That’s the Guy From” List, meaning a list of the character actors that we have seen a million times, but their names have never quite crossed into the public consciousness (based upon normal people’s knowledge, not yours, Happy).

So lets hit it. (Again).

MORE UPDATES (JAN. 6th)
1. The recently deparated John Spencer, known well for the West Wing (like Alison Janney), but great in Presumed Innocent, Copland and more.

2. Charles Napier and Tracy Walter. A couple of great Jonathan Demme company members.

3. Brion James - While best known as Kehoe in 48 Hours, he was, until his death, a stalwart of B actioners, and the occasional big Hollywood movie, including the Player, Striking Distance, Tango and Cash (gulp) and Red Heat (double gulp).

4. Vincent Schiavelli - With that unmistakeable mug, the face of a corpse (he actually died this year), appearing in movies from Cuckoo’s Nest to Batman Returns to Better Off Dead.

5. Wallace Shawn - Best known as The Sicilian from The Princess Bride. "Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

6. Henry Silva - Always the bad guy, in so many different cultures, too.

7. Alison Janney - A happy choice.

8. Tony Goldwyn - Shouldn't be on this list, too good an actor (and quite the acting coach as well, apparently.

9. Dan Hedaya - One of the top character actors over the past twenty five years. Made his mark first in Coen brothers movies and on Cheers, as Nick Tortelli.

10. Frank Whaley - Great in Swimming With Sharks, a personal fave. Also a good director, but number seven on the whose that guy list (no Its not a Madonna song).

3 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Dan Hedaya is indeed one of the truly great actors of his generation .. I really thought he would make it big after "Clueless," but I've enjoyed him in every movie, no matter how big or small his part

Anonymous said...

Welcome back ...and feel better quick.

ab said...

Walking Pneumonia?!?!?!?!

Get your ass to a doctor, NOW!!!

Two people in my office recently had that... it's DANGEROUS and I don't want to see you end up in the hospital.

Yes, this is a jewish mother speaking.

But, please, listen to me and go see a doctor...

Today.

Please