Friday, November 17, 2006

Whats with all the quitters in the blogging world?

Seems like in the blogging world, every week, someone is quitting something. They might be quitting dating. They might be quitting blogging? They might be quitting blogging about dating, or dating bloggers.

But what it all really seems to amount to, more than anything else, is an announcement of something that is bound to change in like two days. Or three.

I don’t think its any terrific big deal, and I am writing about it probably because it popped into my head after reading two blogs in a rom that I frequent, one announcing that someone was going to stop dating (or looking to date) and the other (BITTER) an updated blog from someone that I am quite glad has decided to continue blogging, after saying that perhaps they wouldn’t be so bloggy for a bit (DAVE).

Now, I believe in changing your mind when it makes sense. Im not stuck with a decision forever, if it doesn’t work for me. But it just seems that people get pretty capricious with what they say and do on their blogs.

(Aside: I think there are a number of women I have met who have this behavior in real life, and so maybe its not so miraculous that I see women online with the same characteristics. Dave, however, well, we can write it off to an emotional moment, and rightfully so. You’re a little bit chick I guess.)

But what about commitment. Honesty. Don’t falsely lead me on to think A, when its gonna be B twenty four to seventy two hours later. I’m invested and then I have to rethink your whole psychological dilemna.

And is it something particular about blogging that makes people try to draw these lines in the sand, very demonstrably, about life changes that they are making. Changes they are making in the way they live, they love, they leave.

But really, you just cant believe everything you read.

And Dave, Bloggers do it while watching The Empire Strikes Back, which really stands up to todays crappy sci-fi wanna-be tentpole summer popcorners.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that one of the main reasons that people make life statements -- and put them out there in blogland -- is that it'll be harder to say "no, no, I don't want to do that" a few days later, because they've told everyone that they're doing it. They committed.

It's the same in real life. About 10 years ago, after never having had a surgery in my life, after never having had an IV in my life, I decided that I was going to have a breast reduction. My friends and family couldn't believe it -- I was so squeamish, how was I going to VOLUNTEER for surgery? "Not gonna happen" they said. I totally put it out there. I told all my friends, everyone at work, mere acquaintances.

It's not like I had 2nd thoughts or anything, but if I DID have them, I'd have to tell all these people that I couldn't do it. That I was a chickenshit.

So I think blogging mirrors real life. You state a change to everyone. And so you've committed.

HOWEVER, in terms of your sister, I want to convince her that one broken egg (BG) doesn't ruin the whole dozen. Thankfully her statement said that she's not dating FOR NOW. I like that she left a way out, back into it. (Hi Steph!)

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

Dawn - thats quite a story.
Anon - thanks for the props. will have a look.

ab said...

Hey Dawn! :)

And yes, you are a pillar of support for me :)