Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Dis-concert-ing?

I went on a date tonite. We hadn’t been out before, and I am of course going back to California on Friday nite, so there was limited time to get together before I leave for a week or so. Not or so. A week.

Anyway, I don’t think I am going to start blogging about my dating life again. We all have seen where that can lead. Interestingly enough, the person with whom I went out has also seen where it can lead – she used to have a blog about dating in NYC.

How many of these things are out there, anyway? Perhaps I’ll check after posting.

And for anyone who thinks that this isn’t a new person, but that this blogger is someone I have spoken about on here before, you’re wrong. Control your imagination (Dawn). All that is as over as writing about it is. As in, moveonmofo.org.

Thing is about this date, is because of the limited time before I was leaving for Cali, we decided to do something kind of untraditional on a first date (not water sports, Lozo). We went to a rock concert. A good old fashioned rock concert, with loud music.

Now I wondered about this a bit before accepting. A couple of reasons why include, spending 60 bucks on my ticket for a date I might not enjoy, plus food and drink and whatever else; the relative inability to have a conversation during a concert that was sure to be loud (it was); and maybe the most important, did I like this band enough to go to one of their concerts. I am not a huge concert fan, as I am not a huge fan of crowds. I love music, but the vibe of the concert has to be right. Otherwise sometimes I can’t wait for it to be over.

The band, you ask? What band? Alice in Chains, with a new lead singer.

I was overwhelmingly pleasantly surprised by the concert. It was really great, the band put on a great show. I even knew a bunch of songs I wouldn’t have been able to mention had someone asked me to name song by AIC. Some of course, I knew I knew. They were great, the vibe of the crowd was cool. Just nice all around. I think one think that helped the vibe of the place is that their fans are adults, mostly. They began, I am told (my date lived in Seattle for ten years, where she was a college DJ at a big school, so I’ll take her word for it), in the late eighties. As a result, many of their fans are my age or thereabouts (I am 36). So less annoying kid shit at the concert. Very few teens, from what I can see. Just an adult crowd loving a great show put on by a great rock band. It’s a little weird to me that the singer that replaced Len Staley (sp?), who died of a heroin overdose I think, sounds a lot like him. You’d think they guy would want to take a different approach. But, in any case, it worked and they sounded terrific and I highly recommend them, thought tomorrow nites show is sold out, SRO.

So far as the lack of conversation, it was a little bit of an issue, but since we got together before for a bite and there were intermissions etc. I guess not too much of an issue. Still, maybe not the best first date to get to know each other. “Course, if you have a good time on a date, that makes it a good date, no?

Grumps

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Course, if you have a good time on a date, that makes it a good date, no?"

Yes -- it makes for a good date.

And I love being mentioned in blog posts (I was mentioned on your sister's most recent one too!) even if it is for having an overactive imagination. ;-)

Anonymous said...

LOL - moveonmofo.org - HA! Grumps has his sense of humor back... U crack me up!

Grumpy O. Selznick said...

dawn - yeah i guess it does. and yeah, you have an active imagination. just quelling it as necessary.

heidi deidi - i always had my sense of humor. it was on hiatus from the blog.

Anonymous said...

In a thousand years, I couldn't have imagined it being the person who you thought I was imagining it being.

And, as far as not blogging about your dating life, if that's your decision, then that's fine 'n dandy.

Have fun in Cali.

wcdixon said...

Layne Staley